It took a while for me to decide to do this. I went back and forth trying to decide whether I would take this car to Maaco for a cheapie paint job or attempt to dip it in my driveway. I believe the low end paint jobs cost around $500. I decided that I would attempt to dip the car and make it look as good as possible figuring that if I didn’t like it I could peel it off! I decided to go with the Camo Brown Dip since the car was originally brown and when you opened the door or hood the brown wouldn’t look silly.
The first thing I did was to sand down the car to give the dip a good surface to stick to. I used 80 grit sandpaper for this and sanded all the surfaces that would get sprayed with dip.
Front Before Dip
Drivers Side Before Dip
Passenger Side Before Dip
Rear Before Dip
The next set of photo’s are from after I sanded the car and scuffed up the surface.
Front After Sanding
Drivers Side After Sanding
Passenger Side After Sanding
Rear After Sanding
The next step was to wash the car to get all the dust from the sanding off of it. After washing it, the car looked pretty good and I debated on continuing. But the paint was all scratched up already and there was primer on certain spots, so onward and upward.
Prep is the most important part of painting / dipping a car. Make sure that the surfaces that you are about to apply the dip to are clean, and if you are in a situation where the paint Is already shot you may want to scuff up the surface to give the dip something to stick to, that is what I did. I used newspaper and painters tape to cover all the windows, lights, tires, and trim as to not get any dip on those parts. I wanted to keep the chrome trim intact and not get any dip on other surfaces. I was going to use chrome paint on the bumpers but I decided to just dip them instead.
I have an air compressor and a paint gun (that I have never used until now!) so that is what I used to apply the dip. Since I ordered the pre-mixed sprayable dip it was easy to setup. Just shake up the dip can to mix it. Open it up and pour it in the sprayer container. The first couple of coats are where I messed this up. Since I never used a spray gun before, I had the spray set too narrow and I developed lines in the application of the dip. You can see the lines in the picture. After a couple of coats of dip and then messing with the spray gun a little bit I was able to mask the mistake a little by applying the dip with a wider spray so that you see less overlap. I did that best I could and I think it came out pretty good, especially for a driveway paint job!
I then un-tapped the car and the finished result are below. I think it came out good.
Textured Dip On the Roof, This was also on the Hood and Trunk
After looking at the car for a couple of days and seeing the textured parts of the dip I decided to attempt to wet sand the vehicle. This worked with the 1500 grit paper pretty well but the paper lost its abrasiveness pretty quick and made the job pretty tough.
After Wet sanding the hood, the right side of the picture was done.
I then decided to go with 1000 grit sandpaper to make the wet sanding a little quicker but I ended up getting scratches in the surface. From 20 feet you really can’t see them but up close you can.
These are the scratches that i got after using the 1000 grit on the plati dip. These were totally my fault.
I could continue to try and get the surface looking good but I believe that it’s unnecessary. I am putting the car up for sale and I think that the person to buy it will probably peel the dip off and actually paint it. If I were going to keep the car I think that is the way I would go. I’m just ready for the next project!
The below pictures are what it looks like now.