The Porsche has been sold.
At the time of this writing, I wish I had not sold it but the reasons
why I did are apparent. The 944 was not
really family friendly and driving it with my family was not an option. Let’s be realistic, the back seat is pretty
much non-existent so It makes the car a 2-seater. Therefore, I did not get to drive it as often
as I would have liked and made the decision to move on.
I do like German cars, and have owned quite a few of them. I have now picked up another one and it is a 2006 Audi A4 with the 2.0T motor in it. It is a Quattro model and it pretty much what I was looking for when I purchased the VW back in 2010, only now they are much cheaper because they are old. Either way, the car is pretty straight and has new tires on it, so that is an expense that will not be necessary. It seems to run really good, the clutch seems like it grips well, and overall the car seems fine.
There are a few issues with it, what’s a project without some stuff to fix? The driver’s side rear quarter panel must have been hit at some point because the paint is a little off. I’m not fixing that…..
Also the crease between the door and the front fender is a little damaged. You have to be paying attention but it is visible. That may or may not get fixed with a new fender, if I can find one cheap enough.
The front “chrome” grill is also damaged. I believe that this is just due to time, but I will probably replace that as well. They are cheap enough new, I may even find one in a junk yard. Time will tell.
There is a simple plan for this car; it is going to become
my daily driver. I do want to make some
modifications to it though. Life is too
short to drive boring cars!
First I am going to just drive it for awhile and do the
basic maintenance. I want to make sure
that the car runs well and is in good condition. Unfortunately, do to Covid-19, I am unable to
do that at the moment since I cannot register the car with the DMV. That is the first step of the plan.
The modifications that I plan to do are small, I am going to
do a Stage 1 reprogram on the computer.
This modification on its own will get a nice little bump in power,
approximately 50HP and 50 foot pounds of torque. Those are approximate, but it’s a good bump
for not a lot of money.
The complimentary modification to the above is the high flow
catalytic converter. This adds another
25 or so horsepower and foot pounds of torque.
So that will put this car around 275HP with 275LB of Torque. That is not too bad. I do not plan on going any crazier than that.
I may do a performance suspension, or just some stiffer sway
bars to get the handling down a little better, but they supposedly handle
pretty good from the factory.
I will probably upgrade the stereo to something that has
Bluetooth, since I use my phone for music and podcasts. That will be the end of the modifications to
this car. I want it to be fun but I also
usable for my family.