Looking for ways to improve your vehicle’s fuel efficiency, as well as reducing its harmful emissions? One proven method to achieve those objectives is to replace your vehicle’s existing catalytic converter. Installing the Flowmaster 2220125 222 Series 2.5″ Inlet/Outlet Universal Catalytic Converter could do wonders not just for your car’s gas mileage but also make it more environment-friendly by reducing its carbon oxide emissions. Eventually, it should make it a lot easier for your car to pass strict emission tests.
To be able to understand how this universal catalytic converter can improve your car’s performance, let’s first look at how catalytic converters work. The catalytic converter is part of the vehicle’s emission control system. It reduces the amount of waste gasses coming from the motor that emits smog chemicals like hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides, and carbon monoxides. Simply put, the catalytic converter minimizes the harmful emissions of the vehicle.
The catalytic converter forces waste gasses to come in contact with a chemical catalyst like metals platinum or palladium. This in turn causes the gasses to degrade into less harmful substances such as water and carbon dioxide.
This is basically how this Flowmaster catalytic converter works. As it is a universal catalytic converter, it should fit most vehicles even those of older models. Installation however should be left to the professionals.
- It is made of stainless steel so it should be able to last for a long time
- It is backed by a limited lifetime warranty
- It is available for a wide variety of applications
- It has excellent flow characteristics
- It is manufactured in the United States
- It is designed to meet federal EPA emission requirements
- It is small thus it is unlikely to get hit or split on a speed bump
- It is affordable
- It is designed to fit various engine models of cars, trucks, vans, and even station wagons
- While it is recommended that mechanics install it; this one should prove easy for pros to weld
- It significantly improves the tone of a car’s exhaust
- It makes idling much smoother for most vehicles
- It is easy to clamp on for testing before it is to be welded
- It can improve your car’s fuel mileage
- Very quiet with a good exhaust flow
- With a weight of just 4.5 pounds it will not add a lot of weight to one’s vehicle
- With dimensions of 14 x 4.8 x 4.6 inches, it should be easy to install even in compact areas
- It is designed for universal installation, and legal in 49 states
- With its stainless steel construction, this should be able to resist rust and other elements
- Motorists say this universal catalytic converter can make vehicles rev faster, run smoother, and sound deeper
- It can improve the ride quality of your car
- It comes from a reputable brand/company as Flowmaster is known as one of the leaders in exhaust technology
- It can solve certain problems of trucks losing power on hills, and vehicles being sluggish on the road
- It is designed to avoid “MIL” code issues which are very common with substandard converters
- It can help keep a lot of the components of the engine clean, and enable the engine to run well
- This is an ideal replacement to catalytic converters of older cars as it can enable the vehicle to recover some of the power that it is losing due to clogged or inefficient catalytic converters
- It is not legal for installation and use in California
- Depending on the size of the vehicle, this may require some cutting and adapter pipes to fit your car
- It requires welding and fabrication which should be left only to a professional mechanic, DIY is strongly discouraged
- Some Amazon.com reviewers say it makes a bad, squeaking noise when it warms up
This Flowmaster universal catalytic converter can be compared with other universal catalytic converters like the Magnaflow 91005 Universal Catalytic Converter. Similar to the Flowmaster2220125 222 Series 2, the Magnaflow 91004 has a stainless steel construction. It is also designed to be compliant with federal emission standards, and is also made in the USA just like the Flowmaster universal catalytic converter.
However, the Flowmaster has some distinctive advantages of the said model. One, Flowmaster backs up the 2220124 222 Series 2 universal catalytic converter with a lifetime warranty whereas the Magnaflow 91005 universal catalytic converter is backed by a 25,000 miles emission warranty and five year limited warranty. In terms of prce, the Flowmaster is also cheaper than the Magnaflow model.
Another competitor of this universal catalytic converter is the Magnaflow 94006 Universal Catalytic Converter. There are also some similarities with both universal catalytic converters meeting EPA requirements, although both models are also not legal for sale, installation, and use on vehicles registered in California. Both universal catalytic converters are also made of stainless steel.
The Flowmaster universal catalytic converter is also at least one pound lighter than the Magnaflow 94006. While the one pound difference may not really be that much, the Flowmaster universal catalytic converter is also smaller than the Magnaflow 94006. This means that the Flowmaster 2220125 converter should be easier to install as it fits compact spaces.
The Flowmaster 2220125 222 Series 2.5″ Inlet/Outlet Universal Catalytic Converter could be the upgrade that your old vehicle needs. If you have been noticing that your car’s fuel efficiency has not been up to par, or you are worried that your vehicle may not pass emission standards, then it might be a good idea to replace your catalytic converter with a high flow catalytic converter like this Flowmaster model. Having this installed in your car should make your ride run smoother and faster on the road. You can prolong the life of your car, too, when you decide to have its catalytic converter replaced by this model.