At the very least, it can be very inconvenient if you suddenly find your car battery failing on you while you’re on the road. It can be disastrous too, if your car battery dies while you’re on the road at night with no one around you. It’s the same thing if it’s a marine battery and you’re at sea. So it’s a good thing that you have a battery tester like the MOTOPOWER MP0514C. In fact, this battery tester is quite better than most.
Features of the MOTOPOWER MP0514C
The MOTOPOWER MP0514C is a very popular battery and alternator tester, and that’s not just because of the low price. Its features are all that you need in a battery tester, in a very compact package.
- This battery tester only measures 5.7 x 3.5 x 2.1 inches, with a weight of 5.6 ounces. So it’s very compact, and easy enough to bring along with you. It does look good and professional with its lights, indicators, displays, and matte black finish. The size and surface makes it easy to grasp when you’re using it, even if your hands are dirty.
- It’s ready to use right out of the box. You don’t have to assemble anything at all. You don’t need to put any batteries in it, and you don’t have to charge it first either.
- It comes with a DC testing range of 4 to 20 volts, so you can use it for all types of 12V batteries. Just connect the red clamp on the positive terminal and the black one on the negative. To test the alternator, you’ll just need to start the engine.
- The LCD display offers data for 4 characters, with volt readings up to two decimal points from 4 to 20 volts. If the voltage is over 20 V, it’ll just say HI. If it’s less than 4 V, it’ll display LO. The display is actually large so it’s easy to read.
- You also have colored LEDs that indicate the status of the battery and the alternator. On the left, you have 4 levels for the battery: Full, Medium, Low, and Empty. For the alternator, you have High and Good levels, which are okay. The not so okay ones are Dead and Reverse.
- The testing results are very consistent, and this has been confirmed by lots of other customer reviews online. You can test it with other confirmed accurate battery testers and you’ll get the same accurate reading.
- It comes with microprocessor control, so the reading is very quick if you need to jump start or replace the battery.
- You do need some bit of hand strength to open the clamp, but it’s not so much that adults won’t be able to do it. But they’re tight enough so that the clamps offer a lot of grip. They connect securely and tightly when you clamp them down on the battery.
- It also comes with protection for reverse polarity, overload, and short circuit.
There’s a lot going for the MOTOPOWER MP0514C:
- The price is just right. It’s not too low that the indicators are too basic, and you also worry about its durability and accuracy. But it’s not a drain on your budget either.
- It’s also very easy to use. Everything is easy to read at a glance, and you don’t need to shine a light on it to read it. Its compact size makes it easy to hold, to bring along with you, and to store away when not in use.
- It can also last for a good long whole. It’s actually quite durable, as long as you take care of it properly.
- It’s very accurate too. This is crucial, as you don’t want a tester that makes mistakes.
- Perhaps the most notable drawback to the MOTOPOWER MP0514C is that the wires connected to the clamps are a bit on the short side at just 7 or so inches. A few inches more and it would have been perfect.
- A few people may not be able to use it for their larger batteries.
The MOTOPOWER MP0514C is quite affordable, but the Cartman 12v Car Battery and Alternator Tester is even cheaper. But it’s only a dollar or two cheaper, and you do lose out on quite a bit. It’s actually rather very basic. It tells if the alternator is “good” or “fault” and if the battery is “full”, “middle”, or “low. There isn’t any LCD display.
On the other hand, there’s the Schumacher BT-100 100 amp Battery Load Tester. It’s great. But the analog version is actually almost twice the price of the MP0514A. The digital version is almost 7 times as costly.
This is a handy device that lets you check your car battery regularly. So you’ll notice right away if there’s a problem with the battery or the alternator. You won’t have to risk going out with a battery that’s nearly dead.
It’s very easy to use, and the price is terrific. The compact size makes it very handy to use especially when you’re going out on a boat. You can use this to constantly monitor your battery while at sea.
So there’s no longer any good excuse why your car or marine battery will suddenly die on you on the road. Generally you will see the warning signs well before you start your trip. So with this, you don’t have to guess about the state of your battery and your alternator. You don’t have to resort to the “pray and hope everything goes well” approach either.
This time, you’ll know. And when your battery tester gives you the all clear signal before you go on a trip, at least that’s one potential problem you don’t have to worry about.
All in all, the MOTOPOWER MP0514C offers a lot of value at very little cost. It’s very handy, and a very good buy.