Adjusting My Kart Seat

After going through Kart race number 6 I’ve discovered that my previous back injuries have not been completely solved.  I had a lot of trouble sleeping the night after the race and could feel that my back was tweaked.  I had gone to the doctor previously and he told me that it was just a pulled muscle in my back.  Since I am able to move around without a problem and it is only in certain positions that it feels that there’s a knife in my back I don’t really believe him.  I believe that my ribs are bruised or that there is something else going on.

Here’s my theory on what the issue is, at least at this point:

I think that my seat is mounted slightly too low on the right side, the side that hurts in my back, and that the seat is bottoming out when the kart is hopping.  This can be seen by looking at the bottom of my brand new seat and seeing the scraping from the pavement.  This could be due to just deviations in the track at Raceway Park, but I cannot be sure.  When the seat bottoms out, I think it compresses my back and that is the cause of my injury.  To alleviate this issue I have decided to adjust my seat, below is what I have done.

I loosened all of the seat bolts that hold the seat in place.  For me there was an Allen key and a 13mm bolt for all the mounting points.  This will allow me to adjust the seat freely after I make my change.

The two bottom bolts

The two bottom bolts

Radiator Side Bolts

Radiator Side Bolts

Engine Side Bolts

Engine Side Bolts

On the right side bottom of the seat, I completely removed the bolt that holds it in place.  My plan is to drill a new hole ¼ inch below the existing one and move the seat upwards on that bottom mounting point.

I removed that one bolt completely.

Kart Seat Bolt Removed

Busted out my drill and bit and drilled a new hole.

Kart Seat New Hole

It was a little bit of a struggle to get the bolt through the mounting point due to the stiffness of the seat.  It also may have been difficult due to the pains in my back and the awkward positions that I had to move my body in to get the newly drilled hole lined up with the mounting point.

Once I was sure that I could line them up, it was iffy there for a moment, I put the rubber bushings in line with the new holes and re-mounted the seat.  I re-tightened the rest of the bolts and the seat was once again usable.

Finished Product

Finished Product

After looking at the before and after pictures, you can kinda see how the seat is now straighter in its appearance.  Before the seat was a little crooked in its mount and it leaned to the right side.  Go figure, it was the side that I was having an issue with!  It is now much straighter and more square with the gas tank.  It may have just been an issue with the original mounting of the seat.  We’ll see on Race 7!

 

Leave a Reply